My Unanonymous Life

I will update the blog at least once a week but might do more than one. We shall see.

I'm never ashamed to say I am a person involved with long-term recovery from alcohol (primarily) and drugs (hey, it was the 70s). Thirty-four years and counting. So far.

I have no standing nor do I represent AA or any of the other Twelve Step Program (there are over 70 addressing various substances and behaviors with the step method). If you don't like me, don't worry - I am just a channel for other people and their words - some of which you might like.

A big part of maintaining what I've found has been to give it away. To that end, with several other people involved with the same journey put together a collection of writings from the 1940s to the 21st Century. Where there were living families or estates, we went to the source for permission. We wrote and revised through an almost embarrassing first edition to this. Which stands on its own. (Quite well, too.) Respect for the authors - what a concept. I wrote some of it, but it is a real work of group conscience over half a century.

And this project probably explains why I am always begging for money. But this is the way stuff from the Twelve Step Fellowship just is handled this way.
Second Edition Cover

The Recovery Reader, 2nd Edition

This is an anthology of writings by over 30 authors from 1944 to 2012. I created this as an afterthought after a good deal of research for a class I have been doing at a local recovery center since 2004. I wanted to improve the class and present more than just the repetition these men get several times a week. I did it to improve my class sessions.

It is divided as: 
  • Newcomers
  • Steps
  • Spirituality
  • Sponsorship
  • Resources. (And lots of them) 
Free to download, free to share. It is published under the Creative Commons license. It releases the material to Share-Alike (as is, don't make changes), No Charge (for the material - if you want a hard copy you have to print it out or pay the people who put together the paper, ink, presses, bindery, and shipping - they don't do that work so you can have it free), and Full Attribution or credit the original authors with a simple "By" (don't claim it to be yours). The symbol for that looks like:
Creative Commons Symbol 

And it is Free. I make it up in volume. I am very happy with the thought that someday, someone I never met will open this book and walk away with something tht changes his or her life. It is my particular delusion that keeps me going.

You can get it free in two different PDFs editions. It is available in the standard (US Letter sized, (8 1/2 x 11, ideal for printing out pages to hand someone, mostly two column layout for easy reading) and Trade Paperback (6x9 inches, formatted to a single column, which is better for tablets and possibly a bit large for smartphones). I'm experimenting with an epub or mobi version for ebook outlets. The only difference between the editions is the size of the book and the number of pages - the text is the same.

The book is divided into four sections.
  • Newcomers
  • Steps
  • Spiritual
  • Sponsorship
  • References (and lots of 'em)
There are four versions of the book available in print through Lulu.com, a print on demand provider. They have the Standard Edition paperback or Premium Edition higher quality (US Letter sized, 8 1/2 x 11); Trade Paperback edition - (6x9 inches - paperback or hardback/case wrap); Digest sized paperback (8.5 x 5.5 inches), and Standard Paperback size (4.75x7 inches). Pricing starts at $6.75 plus shipping for more than 200-400 pages (depending on size) and I get from 35¢ for the Standard Edition, to $20 for the 6x9 hardcover "case-warp" edition and I pocket a big $2 out of that.

Oh, the wild parties I do throw.

You can also find these on archive.org, which is quickly becoming my favorite internet resource.

And if you write to me and ask nicely, I will send you the full PDF. It's free, remember?

There are some other freebies that have left me bereft of recognizable career.

The Work

An update of the original 4-week and 5-week “classes” to take people through the Twelve Steps. Written in the early 1940s and revised by many local groups around the country after the publication of the Jack Alexander article in the Saturday Evening Post. 

This version is for 5-weeks of classes with a “Mentor” designed for a group that meets once a week “class” with six days of “homework” for the students. This takes you through the experience of the Steps for the first time - “the beginning of a lifelong process.”

Simple Directions

A guide for Steps 1 through 7, including detailed directions for a full first inventory using a spiral bound notebook. Inventory and Amends are at the heart of the 12-Step process. “We will set before you a set of simple directions…” And so we do. At least, I do - I hand it to every man who wants to do an inventory with me.

Drawn from many sources from Dr. Bob, through the One Way Group in Los Angeles in the 1960s, the notebook process from workshops around the country in the 1990s, Sponsor Magazine. and whatever else helps. 

Three Podcasts

Podcasts are “on demand radio shows you can download and play whenever it is convenient. Joe has produced about 125 podcasts are available on Archive.org. These include:

  • 27 original recordings - “Anonymous Review Podcasts on 12-Step history with the voices of the people who founded and developed AA. In their own words, in their own voices.
  • 50 random Speakers - Virtual Speaker Meeting” with  for when you can’t get out to a meeting (and really need one) 
  • 23 Speakers - “Sponsor Podcast” a series of multi-session events and workshops on how to Sponsor and how to be Sponsored
There is more. Such as the update and indexing of the Recovery Reader for a new release. But that comes later. This is more than enough for this update to the blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sick of Begging

It is time to activate MDJS